Sunday, January 24, 2010

British Romantism


I wish I had lived those days of literary creation and shy but burning passion.
I can perfectly see myself living in the countryside and spending my time stiching and reading poetry like Fanny Brawne, John Keats' muse and central character of Jane Campion's movie : Bright Star. A wonderful film that I warmly recommend.
The shots are simply amazing, softly transcribing the romantic atmosphere of this masterpiece!




John Keats painted by his friend Severn.

Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art--
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors--
No--yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever--or else swoon to death. (John Keats 1795-1821)

No comments: